a beautiful nightmare



If the universe told you that you could have one wish - just one, glorious, perfect dream, with the caveat that you would be forced to endure the firery crash of it's demise, would you take it? If you knew the only way to see this dream was to carry the fire in your hands until the pain consumes last glimmer of it and leaves you scarred beyond recognition - would you do it?

If your choice was to live through all of the beautiful nightmare, or never see any of it at all - what would you chose?

I would chose this - a million times over.

A million and one.

If this fresh hell is the price we pay for every kiss; every family game night; every argument about the Beatles vs. The Jackson 5; every slow dance in the kitchen; for knowing the way he smells; and feeling the way his hand fits perfectly in mine - if this is the hefty price tag for even one of those moments, I would pay it. Knowing him, loving him, watching him love our children, adventuring with him - this is what I would choose, over and over and over again - no matter the cost. I cannot bear the thought of this piece of his life happening without us together.

Rico has made the brave and devastating decision to not continue with chemo and radiation treatments. This means he has begun in home hospice care. 

He is doing pretty well mentally, but physically things are hard. 

It's hard to believe that less than two months ago we had just decided to hit the road next year and live our best lives. So now we spend a lot of time imagining what we would do if we had just one more "perfect" day together - one day with no rules, no cancer, nothing but time and love.

The best part of the perfect day game, is that we are never hoping for more than we've already had. There is never anything on the list that we haven't done yet. We always choose the sweetest juciest bits of life to relive. 

Today our perfect day started in a tiny seaside cabin on Casey Key. We woke up and I made him peanut butter toast with cherries on top. We walked on the beach watching dolphins breach and rescuing conches from a lady gathering up buckets of them to sell. By lunchtime we are in Chicago, reliving our first kiss, running through the city to Harold's Fried Chicken Shack, and spending an hour on Navy Pier where he shows me the first ever gift he bought for Kaia. Sometime between lunch and dinner we are holding our sweet new baby Nika, and we're all snuggled on the couch for the first time as a family of five. At dinner time, our kids have grown, we are all on the Hawaiian Beach we loved so much. All of you are there celebrating our perfect day with us. We are surrounded by people we love. There is live music and laughter and my mom's homemade chicken enchiladas, Rico's spinach puffs, marry-me-chicken, New York Pizza and his Grandma Leah's peach cake. We slow dance and listen to the waves crash.

The day always stops before midnight, because neither of us can bear the next day. But I would hold fire in my bare hands - I would hold it until there was nothing at all left of me, just for that one perfect day.


Comments

Robin Hutton said…
Jana, thinking of you and Rico and the family. Prayers and more prayers.
Myrna CG Mibus said…
Uff. Hold on to those happy thoughts as best you can. Please know we are thinking of you and praying. It's not much, it's not enough, but it's something.
brendashelby@gmail.com said…
Sending you, Rico, and your wonderful family so much love. So grateful that we got to chaperone the choir trip to the Great Wolf Lodge with you and Rico. Pat and I appreciated our long conversations with Rico and getting to know him. Pat and I have great admiration and respect for him-we appreciate his authenticity and his example of allowing his character to be built up by the struggles he had been through. All of us reading your raw, beautiful, and wrenching post will walk with you every step of the way- while holding each of you in prayer.
K. Flicek said…
You, Rico and your kids are one of the most amazing families I have ever known. There is nothing I can do or say to take away your hurt or worries. There is no way possible to make you understand or appreciate how much you are all loved and respected by everyone who knows you. When Nika was in my kindergarten class you and Rico were so incredibly kind, loving, supportive and positive about everything. God blesses our paths with people we are supposed to meet. I thank Him for the chance to get to know your sweet family. Please tell Rico we are praying for him and love him dearly. I, too, wish you could have one more perfect day together, if not years of perfect days. You both deserve it. But we must trust in God's plan. God's plan may hurt and leave us wondering why - I know I am wondering why - but complete trust takes us to another place. With sincere love and faith, I will continue to pray for Rico and his loving family! Kathy
Ann said…
Damn. I'm going to miss him. I always really enjoyed our lunches before I bored his class with hours of tax talk. I remember you telling Michelle and me you were pregnant- standing in the Sunday school classroom at Bethel and laughing about the places life takes us. I am so sorry this current direction is not happy and laugh-worthy. Hugs from me to you all. Better to have the chapters before than not, but sorry that particular story is closing. Much love.
Jen Barlage said…
My heart breaks for all the pain you are all feeling, but smiles with all the beautiful memories you experienced and share with the rest of us. You two are an example of fairytale love. Sending love.
Victoria Johnson said…
Thinking of you and continue to pray for strength and understanding. Cherish every moment and take tons of pictures. When time are tough I look at all the memories we made. I love you.
Kristen Cooper said…
Thanks to your family for showing as all such a wonderful example of living and loving, creating and thriving. Holding my you in mind and in prayer.
Margarey said…
Jana,words cannot express how completely sad I am for all. Know that you all are in my thoughts through these difficult times. Much love, Margaret
Treats said…
Rico, you are a brave man and have faced adversity head-on with grace and dignity. I hope it gives you peace of mind that your beautiful Jana and 3 children in Northfield are adored by many and will not walk this journey alone. We will walk it with all of you. My family sends all their love and support. If you feel a hankering for Tuna Torture/casserole - or ribs...J,N and K have my numbers.
Anonymous said…
Jamie and Rick, I am in awe of your courage. Cherish every moment; it sounds like you do not need me to do this, you have made that decision. I love you, tell the kids I love them too. Hope to see you soon.
paul mazo said…
You know my heart breaks for you guys and what you're enduring but the strength of " I would hold fire in my bare hands - I would hold it until there was nothing at all left of me, just for that one perfect day." will help get you all through this. Your strength is amazing and I wish I had that 'magic pill' to make it all better. You need to dwell on the wonderful life you have shared and never let the memories fade. In the 30 years that I've known that Rick was my brother, I feel a closeness that was never in my life prior. I send you all prayers of peace though this indescribable time and I will see you all when the time is right. Love to everyone.
Michael Itskovich said…
It is an honor and a privilege to call Rick a friend. I drank in his wisdom and loved not agreeing with him because it opened us up to a real, hrs long conversation.

I am always here for him and you.

Praying for you both.

Michael