Saving the world



Tiny is studying Greta Thunberg. If you don’t know who she is, Google it - I’ll wait.

She’s cool. Third graders at a Tiny’s school were asked to pick one significant person to portray at the annual “Living Wax Museum”. And although Tiny was initially intrigued by the fact that Greta also suffered with Selective Mutism, she’s started to take more of an interest in the cause. 

On May 24 was the Global School Strike For Climate Change, led in Europe by Greta, but held locally at the state capitol in St. Paul. Here’s Tiny’s description from her IG page:




You guys I want to tell you about my day at School Strike For Climate Change.


My mom and dad drove me to the Capitol building in St. Paul. I was the youngest kid there, everybody else was in middle or high school and there were some grown ups too.





We started outside and introduced ourselves. Then we were silent for eleven minutes, to represent the eleven years that we want Climate Change to be reversed. We couldn’t say anything at all. Then we went into the rotunda of the capitol and we all talked about why we were there. I said because I love animals a lot and they were dying. 


Then some people went back outside but I had never been there before so my mom took me upstairs to see where the house and senate vote. 

When we went exploring, I got invited on to floor of the House of Representatives by Representative @jamiebeckerfinn ! She said she liked my poster and gave me cool bumblebee pin. 

Then Representative Ron Kresha invited me down to the speakers desk and I got to bang the gavel! He asked me why I was there and I told him about the Climate Strike.


Then I talked to a reporter from The Star Tribune, and she took my picture at the desk. I tried to visit my senator and my representative but they were busy working, so I left them messages. (Did you know they get recess breaks too?! ). I’m glad we got to tell the lawmakers about the environment. They were really nice to me. I hope they can help us.”





I’m not sure she soaked in the significance or being invited to sit in the Speaker’s chair - she just said the hammer was loud. She was the youngest rally member by far, but she did take in the eleven minutes of silence, and touring the capitol, talking to the representatives and making signs with Punk.

Her interest in the environment has led our family to be much more thoughtful about our use of plastics and our carbon footprint in general. Some things we’ve tried work great - others not so much. 
The bar shampoo - excellent.
Bringing our own shopping bags - pretty well.
The house cleaners that come in pill form so we just add water and reuse our bottles - AH-MAZING!
The tooth pellets - absolutely disgusting. I tried one. Just one. But the taste, albeit familiar was revolting. It took me ten minutes to figure out what the taste was.  It was AJAX. The tast was AJAX. Don’t ask me how I know, but I do.

In other news:
Spring showcase was a hit. Punk MC’d and sang, Kooka performed in 18 pieces, Tiny danced twice and sang three times. 







Kooka and her date served on prom committee, so got to lead Grand March. A week later, they were both inducted into the National Honor Society. May is the craziest month, but this year it’s been good.








.

Comments

Treats said…
You have some AH-mazing kids. Love them and all the ah-mazing things they do! So proud of N - reminds me of someone else I know I know who was the youngest kid in the crowd protesting/promoting important things in our world.