how's your husband?

People ask this all of the time.

I don't really know how to answer.

Because if you'd asked me this question a year ago, I'd have said something like, "Holy crap, it's horrible. He can't walk without a walker, he's on ten different medications, he's got this permanent pair of lederhozen he's forced to wear to keep his leg from growing the size of a tree trunk, and he takes two naps a day. His leg is pretty much paralyzed, we have one of those handicapped hangers in our car, and sometimes he's in so much pain he randomly shouts out things that scare the dog."

But in light of what he's gone through, I'm more inclined to say, "Pretty good." And for now, it feels pretty good. It's not what it was - but it is a little better most every day.  The night sweats are gone, the walker was free, for now the medications are covered, the lederhozen have a cool tie-dye design, naps are underrated, he's still got the leg, can't complain about always getting the best parking spots, and at least he only swears in front of the dog.

I know he does not feel OK, but I know he fells better. We don't talk about the fact that last year we were wakeboarding in the ocean, racing each other around the roller rink, hosting neighborhood barbecques. We just leave that part out for now, and love what we have, because I think the secret to having it all . . . is believing you do.

Comments

Treats said…
Perspective is a good thing. I hope that next year at this time you're back to doing some of the things you love.
j said…
Thanks Treats - and when we do finally go on vacation, I've told N you'll be happy to toad-sit.
Myrna CG Mibus said…
This is my favorite quote now "I think the secret to having it all . . . is believing you do." Well said.