one month

 


It's been one month since we brought Rico home from Mayo. His situation is not much different - but me? 

Well.

I didn't think it was possible to feel so broken as a human being until now. I thought that maybe there was a different word for what this is, but there isn't.

I know mental health. I know anxiety. I know depression. I know OCD, PTSD, ADD - all the D's.

This is not those. This is broken.

I am incapable of being the wife, the mother, the teacher, the friend, the human I am supposed to be. Everything is fragmented - like a broken mirror - I can see what I was supposed to be, but it's not whole anymore, and there is really no putting it back together.

There is so much guilt. What if I hadn't forced him to get that left hand checked? What's the worst that would have happened? There probably would have been a stroke, a seizure, an aneurism. It would have been shocking, heartbreaking, gut-wrenching - but he would not have been suffering.

To make things clear - most people who have glioblastoma surgery walk out of the hospital on their own volition. Most of them continue to function somewhat "normally" until the disease takes over. Chemo and radiation help, but the decline is more gradual. In Rico's case, we walked into the hospital with a relatively healthy human - a bit of a limp, but a spring in his step; mental acuity in check; needed reading glasses but distance vision better than mine; capable of literally anything he set his mind to. Rico walked into that surgery fully expecting to get a little bit better - or at least maintain until the cancer won.

One month later they sent him home in a wheelchair - legally blind, paraplegic, with one working arm and complete loss of his short term memory. They told me they were sorry, and basically instructed me to make him comfortable until he dies. 

He would not have chosen this.  He can't comb his own hair, use a fork without assistance, pull up his own blankets when he's cold. He thought this would help. Did my constant nagging about that hand choose this for him? 

I also feel guilty for sleeping. When he wakes me up at 2:30 am to tell me he loves me, because he can't remember saying it at 8, 10, 11:30, 12, 1 and 1:45, I should feel lucky. I DO feel lucky - damn that's a lot of love. But I also feel tired, and his love, his needs, his worry should trump sleep every time - why do I cry about being loved so much and sleeping so little?

I feel guilty for saying no. Every day all of my kids hear it at least three times - one of them much more often than that. "Can we take a walk? Go to the zoo? Pick up art supplies? Rearrange my room?" No. No. No. No. There is just no time in the day to do anything other than what absolutely must happen. The worst part is that they'll just stop asking. I know - I did. By age 6 I made my own lunch, fixed my own braids, checked my own homework. I had to. I wanted this to be different for our kids. I pray every day that it can be.

I feel guilty for missing my walks with him; guilty for wishing he would make dinner one more time; guilty for not remembering what he gave me for my birthday last year; guilty for wanting him to hop in the car and drive somewhere - anywhere while we fight over which radio station to listen to - and guilty that he always let me win.

I feel guilty about writing this. We have so many good people in our lives, so much love - why does this still feel so impossible? Why am I not tolerating this better? 

We all have therapists. We are all "ok". But therapy doesn't fix broken. Time, love, people - they are the glue that holds broken things together. I hope I am not broken forever.



Comments

Jodi said…
Hello friend. Thank you for having the courage to share a brutally honest story. You are doing your best - no one can be prepared to handle all of this. We helped my dad through the end of his life at home. Hospice a few times a week was not enough. We didn't know what we were doing or how to admin pain meds of what was right or wrong. It was agonizing and exhausting and we had four adults to take shifts. It is such a gift to help a loved one at the end of their life. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. This may be obvious, but you need more help so you can focus on enjoying the time left. I am happy to make some phone calls and see what is available for services and home health aids. Or....if someone reading this has connections with care providers in Northfield, maybe you could pass on some references? Love to all of you.
Ed Leibowitz said…
Please do not beat yourself up over this. You've been incredible though out this ordeal. No one could do more.
Devin said…
Jana,

It will not be the same, I won't let that happen.
Bob P said…
You're doing your level best, which for those who understand the difficulty of the situation and care about Rick, looks to be damned good. It sucks, and there's no way to feel uplifted with this kind of burden to bear, but the best you can do IS the best you can do. Give yourself a break; you are doing a brilliant job in an impossible situation.
Treats said…
Oh, J. I love you so very much. Everything you are feeling is so normal for the situation you’re in. That doesn’t make you or anyone feel better. It’s just what it is. I wish I were stronger and healthier to jump in and take care of YOU. You’re exhausted. You’re doing an amazing job in an indescribably shitty situation. I wish I could sit by Rico’s bed while you sleep. I’m so sorry this is so brutal. I appreciate your honesty and openness. Huge hugs and love to all of you ❤️
j said…
Thank you all. Logically I know that the decision was made with the information we were given, and most days I am just grateful he's here, but sometimes it's hard not to be salty at the surgeon who told us he'd be the same when he left, and sometimes it's hard not to be mad at me for riding his ass about that hand. Thanks for loving us anyway - even when we're salty, or grouchy or a complete mess.
Unknown said…
I love you Jana.
Thank you for sharing the truth. I love you.
Kelley Bray said…
I lived it, i know it, and now I miss it, I went from broken to lost. But I know there is something better that will come. I know the kids well take the good memories and teaching with them as the grow and know we will all never for get the love. When you get to sleep it will repair so much of that feeling and you will remember the good stuff.