just ask


 It was 14 years ago today that Rico picked me up from the Tampa airport. He begged me to come visit him and his parents for the new year. He said it would be the start of our most beautiful year  - the start of our beautiful life.

He was right.


It was only our third date, but it was then while we watched dolphins and rescued stray conches, that we knew what forever was supposed to look like.


So today I took his girls to Venice Beach. It was one of two spots Rico and I visited in 2008. I told Nika that it was here her dad taught me to hunt for shark's teeth; here that we talked about having a little girl with his dark hair and my smile; here that we started planning our happily ever after.


Nika was really excited to find her own shark's teeth, and although it had been a while since I'd last hunted (14 years to be exact), I was pretty confident that I could help her find her own.


Until I couldn't.


This beach that used to brimming with them, suddenly felt empty. So I said it just once in my head, "Rico, please let me find just one shark's tooth for our little girl - just one."

And there it was.


Not five minutes later.

Not three steps away.

Right there.

Right then.

Right where we were.

One perfect baby shark tooth, right where we stood.


Maybe it was wishful thinking, confirmation bias, or the randomness of the universe - but if it is I don't want to know. 

I want to think he found us there. Just like he said he would.














Comments