Sharknado

It's been a minute. We've seen Christmas, a new year, a new puppy, a new school, a new musical, a new country and heaven knows what else since I last wrote. 

 For some reason, I don't come here to share those things nearly as much as I used to. Maybe it's because I suspect that the people here aren't looking for those stories. They're either here to find out how to survive, or at least figure out how I did - and I'll tell you this much - it's by a thread friends, by a thread. 

 Dare I say the first year was easier? I mean, it was horrible, devastating, heart-breaking, but at least it was exepected
 Yes. Expected. 
I knew I would cry on every holiday, knew the kids would struggle, knew there would be a learning curve - and the world knew it too - they allowed it - they expected it. This year is Sharknado, but with lava, and murder hornets, and Chinese spy balloons - or maybe they are UFO's, I don't even know. This year is full of things I never thought I'd see, but also things I can't fully explain. 

 Thing I thought I'd never see #1 
 Tiny is at a new school. She is there in part because her old one would not allow the therapy that Mayo Clinic said she needed. It's more nuanced than that, but I will tell you this: I was given a heads up by several people at her elementary school, that certain people at the new school would be difficult. I never expected to have my kid's psychologist suggest inpatient care, only to be told by a guy who will remain nameless "I know you think she needs this therapy regardless, but she's totally fine here, she's fine." Imagine telling a diabetic kid that they don't need dyalsis or a kid with CP that they don't need physical therapy. Anywhooooo - we dropped out of said school, attended a week of a hospital program at Mayo, and enrolled in a new school upon her rerturn. She's doing so much better, and I'm so grateful for the team at Mayo - and our good friend C, who told us it was the best place to be. 

 Thing I can't explain #1 
PTSD is real and apparently I have it - micro ptsd. It's taken some therapy to put a name on what's happening, but that's what it is. I used to think it was just me having a very excellent memory of very terrible things, however, tuns out there is a reason that I can't remember a coffee date on Tuesday, but can recall every single nuance of every terror I've ever lived. My brain is too busy remembering how to keep myself or the people I love alive - it's trying to remember every detail of every moment so I can get us through safely - and there is not much room for lattes in the mix. For me, it results in nightmares, panic attacks, freeze response and general spaced-outness. Anything can trigger it - applesauce is Rico choking and me pulling meds from his mouth while a nurse watches; semi trucks are riding shotgun with someone who has lost all depth perception; this one blanket is just called "the blanket of death" by two of us in the house - because it's seen two mortuaries - which means I see all four whenever I fold it. (Two of us love it - so it stays). 

 Other things I thought I'd never see or can't explain - not all of them murder hornets: 
Three dogs in one house 
McDonald's raising the price of unsweet tea 
Clearing out Rico's office 
Closing his business 
Road trips with new friends 
Tiny auditioing for a speaking role in a play 
Our first Valntines Day without all of the kids together 
Our first New years without all of the kids together 
Old friendships ending 
New ones beginning 
Reporting someone to the police 
Small surgeries 
Scrappy having double cancer for five years and still outliving Rico 
Pit tickets to Taylor Swift 
Walking through Mayo and actually smiling 
My first real hysterical panic attack 
Having school conferences with my oldest kid about my youngest kid (Noah is Nika's new art teacher) Feeling happy on a holiday for the first time in about 17 months 
A box of cheerleader outfits in my room 

 I hope you guys are all doing great. We will be too. Don't let the murder hornets get you down.

Comments

Paula said…
J: I've been waiting for your blog update because I love your writing. It just sounds so familiar in my ear like nothing else. Just hope you know that some of us are still reading, even between long needed pauses. Your resilience and strength gives others so much hope! Love you!
Treats said…
J - I miss you so much. Can't find words today that are adequate. I've missed you - and wish I had been able to walk some of this journey with you. We need a coffee/lunch date when I'm back in town or when you head up this way. Love you all.
Meggan said…
Thank you! I have been watching for an update. There is good here. The new school, the audition, the art teacher, the smile at Mayo, knowing what is going on for you, and just the fact that you still express life so well. I am loving and praying for you from here. Every freeking day! Both our lives are busy, so for now I treasure the day we did get some time together. Love you Jana! You are one of a kind!❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹
Cheryl said…
As others have said…I check back here every once in awhile just to read your writing and because I care about you guys. That being said, you don’t owe us anything, and I’m glad you’ve felt you could step back and take care of you and yours. I’m glad you got a name for your Excellent Memory of Horrible Things. Hopefully that will lead to some strategies so that you are soon able to replace some of the Horrible Things with Lovely Lattes.

You are fierce. Even when you are freezing, or panic attacking. Especially then. Sending you and the fam love. 🤟🤟