This year, as I rambled through the neighborhood with the girls (Punk was out with his own posse), I started wondering why I love this holiday. I couldn't come up with one good reason, but I can up with a list why this year's was particularly fantastic.
1) The weather was amazing. October in Minnesota is unpredictable, but this year, the weather was perfect. Chilly enough to be autumn, but not so cold the kids had to wear jackets over their killer costumes.
2) The bazillion kids that come to our house. Rainman Rico did the math - we passed out over a thousand pieces of candy (and we only gave 1 or two per kid!)
3) Our good friend Alisa was here. She had "just stopped by for a bit" but ended up staying for the mad rush of trick or treaters. She cracks us up and makes everything more fun.
4) Bonfire in the backyard.
5) My new secret cider recipe.
6) the best part for Punk and Kooka was having both of their parents and step-dad here with them. Dad airbrushing Punk's face, Rico cooking, Mom doing makeup and hair. Everybody having cider. It meant the world to the kids.
7) Savoring the last of the neighborhood hoopla, before the snow packs us in for the winter.
8) Yoda keeping her spider suit on most of the night.
9) White-chocolate-ghosty pretzel sticks.