moving on

 


One of the bright spots in this past year, is Kaia getting to complete her reign as a royal Ambassador of our city with her teammates Audrey, Lilly, Lilah and Logyn. Last night, after more than two years of service, she passed down her crown to a new Ambassador. She was asked to continue her journey by representing our city as a candidate for the Minneapolis Aquatennial program - and will do so in July. 

Each Ambassador was asked to give a farewell speech on what they had learned from the program. Here is hers. We are so incredibly proud of this kid. Shine on Kaia.

When we were asked to talk about what we had learned from the Defeat of Jesse James Days Ambassador program, I had to rewind pretty far. You see, my journey started when I was just four years old. My brother Noah, was crowned a junior ambassador, and in case you’re not familiar with royal lineage - this made me the official candy catcher for the entire group. This experience taught me to hustle. I contend that you could throw a blue tootsie roll into the middle of this auditorium and I could still catch it before it hit the floor. Back then, I wore a blue royal family t-shirt, pigtails and had a first full of smarties and gobstoppers - but what I really wanted was to wear a crown.

When I was six years old, I got my own chance to run for junior ambassador. 
I didn’t win.
Lilly did.
And from that experience I learned to lift other people up. Lilly and I met as junior candidates, and always sat next to each other at special events, and volunteered to work together. So when I didn’t get a crown that afternoon in 2008, I found that I was really happy to see my friend wearing it. (And I might have secretly hoped she’d let me try it on).

And then there was a big break of time in-between. Time when I didn’t participate directly in the program, but observed older people I admired dressed in their royal finery, visiting schools, making appearances, balancing activities, academics and community service. Kindhearted leaders like Liz, Jenna, Kristen, Emily, Mandy and Hannah - from them I learned that being an ambassador takes hard work, commitment, a heart for service and dedication to our beautiful community.

In 2019, I was finally old enough to run for Ambassador of this city I love so much. I went to bed the night before coronation, loving the candidate experience, but also crossing my fingers and toes that I’d finally get a chance to wear a crown. The next night,  I was thrilled to be presented a sash, flowers and finally get to wear that sparkly tiara with Audrey, Lilly, Lilah and Logyn. They all make those crowns look good, and I have learned so much from each of them and their incredible spirits. From Audrey I have learned that good friends always keep you close even if they are hundreds of miles away. Lilly has taught me that asking for help is a strength not a weakness. From Lilah I have learned to not take myself too seriously (and to go on all of the rides at least twice). Logyn could probably organize my day planner better than I can, and has taught me to stay focused on the task at hand - but always make time for fun. 

When my my dad was diagnosed with incurable brain cancer this spring, I also learned that this entire crew  - ambassadors, their parents, the committee, the city - really is a family, and they are always there to support us. From my parents and siblings I have learned that no matter what life throws your way, or how little of it you may have left - love hard, live big, and don’t take a single moment for granted. And from Julie and Katie, I’ve learned to never - NEVER leave without a hug.

But the most important thing I have learned from this experience is this: I don’t need this crown, and neither do any of you. Please don’t misunderstand, it has been an honor and a privilege to wear it - this experience has been one of the highlights of my life,  but at the end of the day, we all take off these crowns. The makeup wipes come out, the lipstick comes off and the gowns are replaced with our comfiest, rattiest sweatshirts. We don’t need crowns in order to be queens, princesses, ambassadors and forces for good.

The crown may call attention to what we are doing right now, but who you are even without that title is enough. How we’ve been taught to show up for our communities, our friends, and people in need says much more about our ambassador program than any accessories ever could. Be confident in who you are, because who you are is beautiful, capable, and can change the world. Thank you for the honor of serving you Northfield.












Comments

Treats said…
Kaia, I can't tell you how proud I am of you. Love you!
Lisa McDermott said…
What a fantastic speech!
Myrna CG Mibus said…
That’s one amazing speech!