the last

 


Rico and Nika are in our bedroom watching Impractical Jokers.  It's their weekly ritual - one night each week they have dinner together and watch "Impracs". They used to go out to eat - just the two of them, but that ship sailed a while ago.

I am in the kitchen making pasta, covering my mouth so that neither of them hear my hysterical sobbing.

Tomorrow Rico is moving to a hospice center. This is his last night in our home.  Although his situation dictates more care than I can give here, this is not the way either of us wanted this to go.

Blessedly - he has no idea.  We have talked about it but for the most part he thinks he is already there. He's glad that it looks and feels so much like home. He is mostly happy and whenever I take a photo of him he gives me a big "thumbs up for Rico" and a smile. His eyes are mostly vacant, but he isn't hurting, and knows how much he is loved. He says we have such a great life. He's right - we do. Finding him, loving him, raising our kids with him and even riding this storm with him have been the sweetest spots of my existence. I hope the same is true for him.

Tomorrow at 10:30 I will have made him his last cup of coffee here - in that gross coffe pot he insisted on getting at Goodwill 12 years ago. He will have seen his last birthday party here, unwrapped his last Christmas gift, said goodbye to those two dogs he loves so much. We will never again share our couch on movie night. He'll never look out our bedroom window, or hear that annoying woodpecker in the back yard again. He will be gone from here - forever. 

It's not quite the same as dying, but it feels pretty close.

Comments

Oh, friends. My heart breaks for you. I love you all so much.
Catherine said…
Oh J. I am hugging you so tightly from my own kitchen. Here for whenever you need a soft place to land or a buddy to scream loudly with. There is nothing fair in any of this. All our love, and then some extra. 💕
Treats said…
Oh, J…this is gut wrenching. Makes me cry and hurts my heart. Sending you love and strength. Hugs and love for Rico and the kids ❤️💔❤️
Unknown said…
Thinking of you all. Sending love.
Jodi said…
Sending love to you all. Good luck with the move tomorrow.
Mari R said…
The sheer heartbreak of this entire journey is too much. The unfairness of when bad things happen to good people like you really sucks. The helpless feeling of not being able to make ANY of this better or easier for you stings. The desperately wanting this to be just a bad dream you will wake up from. Cancer is an insidious, unwelcome beast in all our lives. The unfairness of it is cruel. Weeping for and with you, Jana. You may feel alone but you are not alone. The collective heartbreak is evident, palpable and real. All I can do from here is to lift you up in prayer and let you know, just in case you forgot, how loved you guys are. Let that be a source of strength to carry you through this gut punch of a transition. Love and huge hugs to your whole family, especially Rico, and tell him we’ll see him on the other side. ��❤️
paul mazo said…
I've started and deleted here so many times. I just don't know what to say that can encompass the feelings I have for you, Rico and the kids. It breaks my heart and all I can say is that I want you to know you're not alone in this journey. You have a village of love and caring that will carry you through today and a lifetime of tomorrows. You know I'm here if you ever want to talk, cry, scream or just listen to silence on the other end, knowing that I'm there. Love you and the kids. Uncle Paul is here for you all.