memory

We travel often - at least as often as we can.

And although I am a history buff, I don't expect my kids to memorize every little detail.  Actually, I am amazed when they do.  For example, when we toured Ford's theater in DC, Rico looked over the balcony where John Wilkes Booth jumped, and said, "Whoa - that's a long way down - surprised the guy didn't break a leg." At which point both kids turned to him in unison and said, "He DID!" I am not sure what caused that little nugget to stick in their brains . . . but I do have a full explanation for this one:

Driving past the White House:

Kooka: Wow - just think, the president is in there right now. Every single president lived right there - Abraham Lincoln lived there, George Washington lived there.

Me: Well, actually he didn't get to. It wasn't built yet.

Punk:
And then there was that fire, so this one was built later. So not every president was in there. Most of them, but not all.

Kooka: Whoa - who was in it when it burned down?

Me: Hmmm - I can't recall.

Punk:
It was that guy that was married to Little Debbie.

Me & Rick:
Little Debbie?!?

Punk: Yeah.

Me: You mean Dolly Madison?

Punk: Yeah . . . that's the one, I knew it had something to do with snack cakes.

(he was right)

Comments

davy the diaper changer said…
These kids should travel with davy the trivia king
j said…
We only had one evening with Davy - which was not nearly enough. Sadly, they are stuck with a mother who also cross-references historical events with snack foods.