Well, that was fast



When they called me at 2:30 to meet Dr. Houdek in the consult room, I was a little freaked out. I mean, why do we need a consult room if he’s fine? And in case you’ve done the math, that’s 2 and a half hours earlier than he was supposed to be done.

Only two reasons to stop early: either the leg didn’t need any more work because it was gone, or he couldn’t handle any more.

Our neighbor Jane was here with me for lunch and was able to go into the consult with me. She said , “That’s good news, it probably means everything went well.” She’s a doctor, so knows way more about this than me, but she’s also optimistic by nature. Me not so much.

But even I had more faith than Rico this time around.

So we waited in the consult room.

Jane was right. 

“It’s gone.”

That’s what Dr. Houdek said.

“It’s gone.”

I’m not sure how this is different from Dr. Simm saying “We got it.”  Maybe it’s not, but whatever it means, I’m good with it.

According to Dr. H, it was the vascular team that saved his leg, not the Sarcoma crew. He said it was pretty difficult, but they were able to do it without any grafting of veins from the left leg, and that his bone is fragile, but stable.

He’s heading to his brachy tube surgery right now, and then recovery, so I won’t see him until tonight. Thanks for hanging in here with us.

Comments

Treats said…
Thank God!! I've been thinking about you all constantly today. Here's to a good night ahead. Take good care!
Unknown said…
Smiling through tears!!! Thanks for the update. Please take care of yourself and let us know know if we can help with anything. Continued good news hoped for and expected.
Unknown said…
Oh! So glad to read this! Take care of yourself Jana. Sending hugs!
Unknown said…
I’m so glad to hear!!! I’ve been thinking about you guys all day! Love you all!
Anonymous said…
So happy to hear this. Micaela and I have been wondering how it went. Love to all.
Anonymous said…
Sooo great!!! Here’s to a quick recovery!
Anonymous said…
Woohoo!!!!
Bob Papasian said…
Great news! 👍 Hope you recuperate well, and quickly, Rick!
Lisa McDermott said…
In the words of Emeril Lagasse -

BAAAAAAMMMMMMM!

And that's Rick-2, Sarcoma-0. That's a Super Bowl in my book.
Unknown said…
I’m really, really happy to read this. Lots of love your familly’s way. I’ll keep Rick in my prayers.
paul mazo said…
That "it's gone" thing would have scared the crap out of me!! I'm glad all is well and hope that he'll be back on two legs as soon as he can.