Movin



He’s on the move again.

Today it’s to the physical therapy ward, where he’ll live and work for the next 2-3 weeks. It’s a great room in a brand new building. There’s a couch, a fridge, a recliner and a great view of the trees outside. It’s sort of like the room you get when you’re having a baby  - but less fun. 

The work of being in the hospital is pretty constant. Before 8 a.m, there are at least two nurses, meds and a doctor’s visit. It’s imperative that he rests. It is the only thing that will help him heal, but there is rarely time for that. At least every 15 minutes there is work to be done - intake exams; neurology; oncology; swallowing practice (yeah - and it takes a while); physical therapy (which mainly consists of moving from a bed to a chair and sitting up); occupational therapy (holding spoons, vision checks, trying to hold a pen); meds; shots; neuro checks; and meals.

There is barely time in the day to do it all, let alone rest. He’s been extra chatty the last two days. He’s totally lucid and conversations make sense, but he’s even more gregarious than usual (if you can imagine that).  Noah and I actually have to refuse to speak to him just so he’ll sleep. He desperately needs every possible minute of sleep and it’s hard to come by. He’ll start full therapy in the gym tomorrow, which will wear him out further, so we’re being extra cautious and protective of his time right now. Oncology says that the stronger he is, the more he may be able to tolerate the chemo and radiation he has coming.

At the moment he is legally blind. He can see. Nothing is blurry or black, but only certain parts of his eyes can see, or more accurately only certain parts of his brain can process what he sees. For one of his neuro checks today, he was given a piece of paper and asked to circle all of the stars he saw on the page. He circled 3 very confidently - but there were 18. Time will tell if this is permanent. The upside is that I walk in looking like a sleep-deprived pile of hot garbage most days and he still says I look beautiful.

We’re grateful for the offers to visit, but right now Covid-protocols are still in place, which means that each patient - no matter the circumstance is only allowed two people in the building. This isn’t just to allow patients to rest, but to keep the total number of people in the facility down to a reasonable number. So far it’s worked ok for us. The kids trade off coming with me, but they have to be on a special list and can’t just walk in and out as they please. We each have to sign in at the beginning of each day, and can only sign in a new person the next morning. He would LOVE  to see some of you, but logistically it’s hard. Also, that thing I mentioned about his chat chat versus sleep - we really need sleep to win this week.

We will get preliminary biopsy results soon. The final panel will take another two weeks and they can begin to assess what treatment plan will work best.

We knew this would be hard, but this is next level hard. I have loved and cared for people with lung cancer, bone cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, liver cancer, ureter cancer, sarcoma - but this one - this one is beating us down at the moment. It’s a full time gig, but it’s the only place I want to be  - because he is here - he is my heart. I’d follow him anywhere. 


Comments

Treats said…
Oof...what hard days. I am wishing there were something I could do to help. I’m leaving for California for 2+ weeks but will be ready to drive, feed, distract, make you laugh with stories like my experience today of getting braces today at age 56. The contest at the front desk of the Ortho office: “Name your favorite teacher and tell us why for a chance to take your teacher and 10 friends to the movie theater if your name is chosen”. Ummm...I’m 56. My fav teacher was in her mid 40’s. Do the math. She’s probably not around to go to a matinee. I asked if I could take my 90 year old dad and 10 friends. I’m not sure if it was a courtesy laugh or not that I received. After getting my braces on, walking out I noticed the 13 year old kid in the next chair was my neighbor. I want a picture with him in our matching red orthodontist t-shirts you get for “free” when you get braces 😬 just me and the tweens at the Ortho today 🙄 Love you all❤️
Anonymous said…
I love the chalkboard. Just a thought...play some Joni Mitchell for him. I’m sure he will enjoy.

Glenn
Unknown said…
Just saying Treats - I’ve taught you some stuff - and I like movies.

Glenn- took care of that. He’s got a stellar playlist.
Unknown said…
Hopefully the vision thing gets better soon. Glad to see he knows he's from NY. I was afraid I would have to remind him that he is a kick a$$ Noo Yawker! If you have access to Sirius XM, the Beat;les channel is #18. Also there is 70's on 7, 60's on 6 and 50's on 5 and a classic rock channel.

Ed
Anonymous said…
Jamie and Family,
We are here/there for you. All our love, all our prayers,
Frank and Sharon
Brenda Shelby said…
Thank you for the update! Sending you much love, prayers, and cool vibes.
Marie and Clem said…
Small steps move you forward! Glad to hear that he is taking those small steps. Let all of our love keep you strong...we all want to be there to hold your hand Jamie, so we do it virtually. I take out my Nika hug and hug it hoping that you and your family feel those hugs coming through to you. If you need to talk you can always call me. Much Love to you, Rico, Noah, Kaia, and Nika!