how we do it

I've had a lot of people ask how we roadtrip.  Not the logistics of packing, and eating and keeping three kids happy in a van for seven hour stretches, but how we can do it - how do we make this fit into our lives.

The short answer is that we are both teachers - one at a college, one at arts center, but it's more complex than that. The long answer is that neither of us ever stops working, so that we can stop when we need to.

Convoluted, I know, but it's something like this:

Rico and I both own our own businesses.  It's a blessing and a curse.  It means we set our own schedules, but it also means that there is nobody to pick up the phone when we're gone, nobody to answer emails, nobody to collect money.  So we do it on the road.  For me that means, emails, scheduling, creating ads while Rico drives.  For him it means taking calls, processing orders, and cell phone meetings while traveling across I-80.

What this really means, is that even though it appears we took a month off to travel, in reality, we probably had a total of 5 days without emails, calls, or putting out fires of some sort.  It was a crazy life - but it gave us moments like this:



Who can complain.

Comments

Treats said…
That just makes it even crazier that you can work and pull of a crazy, jam-packed vacation for a month. I'm even more tired now. Phew.
Anonymous said…
It's glaringly obvious by the kids maps that a Northwest trip is in order next. My vote is for something early summer with a stop in the Bay Area to visit big bro and family and meet the new Hirschton addition. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.