💗

The first day I saw him I cried.  I knew that even if I lived to be 100 and he 118 that it would never be enough time. I would never have enough kisses in rainstorms; hugs; laughter; road trips; love - there would never be enough time with him. Ever.

I was so devastated when I had to return to Minnesota, that he actually had to walk me onto the bus. I was sobbing so hysterically, that he had to walk me to my seat and tuck me in like a child. He kissed my forehead and whispered, “There is no love like this.”

He was right. There isn’t.

To be sure, there are beautiful love stories, but there are none exactly like ours. 

By this point, you may have heard, or suspected - Rico’s condition is terminal. His life will end with, and because of brain cancer.

We have held this information close for some time because we all needed to process it. We weren’t ready to be “that family”.  But we are that family, and we need to begin this new part of our journey together.

The prognosis is brutal, but chemo and radiation will buy us time to continue living his best and biggest life. The treatment will not be enough to buy us hope, not enough to buy us a cure, but it may buy us more kisses in rainstorms, hugs, laughter, road trips and love. 

As devastating as this is, we know we are lucky. We have a beautiful, supportive community; a family that loves each other fiercely; and a love that some people never find. We are lucky to love each other like we do, and lucky to be loved by you. Thank you for sharing our journey with us.





Comments

Treats said…
Yours is a beautiful love story. This feels so cruel. I am heartbroken for all of you and will walk this journey with you. Whatever you need, we are here for you. ❤️
Anonymous said…
We are here. ❤
Eileen said…
You are both lucky for what you have - Love and hugs to all.
Cheryl said…
Oh Jana...wishing you as much as you can get. And then just a bit more. 💗💗💗
Rachelle said…
I've struggled with trying to find the right words - but realized there are none. There isn't anything "right" about this and no words can take away the hurt or pain. Your journey has been one that has had more struggles then some but I also believe, more love than most. Your love story may not be perfect (as there is no such thing except in fairy tales), but it is perfect for you two. And I hope you get many, many more chapters to add to the story. May all the love, prayers, thoughts, and positive vibes lift you and your family up when you need it the most. And may every hug, kiss, word that you and Rico share in the days ahead, wrap around you both along with the strength family and friends are sending your way. Life does not make any sense sometimes and this is for sure one of them. (((hugs)))
Unknown said…
I so loved the first half of this post. And absolutely hated the rest. I had hoped it would not turn out to be what we feared. Crap.....

Ed L.
Jennifer Weinstein said…
Your love the love for your family. Each other. Your generous outpouring of love with everyone —- expecting nothing in return —- well, those qualities (and acceptance, education, optimism, lifting others up) are the qualities that are unique to the healers in this world. Thank you for sharing yourselves, your journeys, your beauty. Your kindness has helped me get through some of my darkest and scariest days. Thank you for always making the time to support me. Love, jzipbella (Jen, Bella and Bailey)